Friday, December 30, 2011

The Evolution of Me

In my previous blog I spoke briefly about the theory of evolution. In the perspective of human evolution of modern lifestyle the term environment means changing your daily habits to something different. For example if you walk out the door every morning and turn left and take the same route to the bus or train or the job that you do everyday your mind and body becomes so used to the routine that you never think about what it is you are doing. You just do it. But what happens if you turn right? All of a sudden your brain starts to function, it has to make decisions about which direction to go, how long each different option will take etc etc etc. Your body becomes alert to the new sounds, feelings and sensations you are experiencing as you make the change. If you turn right it means you are taking yourself outside of your natural environment. The process of adaptation to changing environment means your genes are overlaid with new information that then become a part of your genetic encoding, thus the process of evolution continues. Why this sudden interest in evolution? Let me explain.

Whilst in London we workshopped as a group in Leadership training. It was an interesting program and it got me thinking about what it is that I really want to do. I thought that I had it all sorted out. You know my goals and aspirations, my career path etc etc etc. Turns out I am so far off the road to reaching my goal that I had to really think about how to get back on track. Parts of the solution came about through workshopping with my peers. The other part resolved itself by my determination to change my life. Change is a difficult thing to do. Especially when you step over the threshold into the unknown. Taking that first step is the hardest part because you have no idea what is in the unknown world or how it will turn out. You take a leap of faith. You put trust in the process of change. And let me tell you I was scared. However, the good news is that it is working out beautifully and I am so glad that I stepped over the threshold. On my return home I decided to put some serious effort into changing my job. I put my CV out there with intent. I had not wanted to leave the Museum, however I now have a very large mortgage and I needed to gain some lee-way financially so that I could at least eat something for two weeks and not just one week. Stretching food is also difficult especially seeing as I do not have time to cultivate my own, although I will do that eventually. I fly solo so it is not as though I have a partner to share the load. I do have a fantastic brother who I share the house and mortgage with. However, my pay does not seem to cover much. Inflation is wearing me down. I was losing my happy nature to the bonds of finance and gain. I had to do something positive to make my life a little easier, a little lighter and less burdensome. What I really needed was a new job that paid more and gave me professional development. I needed to create the changes necessary to enhance both my personal and professional life. 

I had already made the decision to leave the Museum mid-year, however I had not put much effort into actually making the change. Once I realised that I had to make more of an effort to make the change I can happily say all is well. I now have a new job that fits my required criteria and it is in Anthropology. I am so happy because it enhances my personal and professional life. I feel relieved and grateful to the powers that be who support my decisions and thank my friends, family and mentors for their ongoing encouragement. Stepping outside my comfort zone frightened me yet I love the challenge of learning something new. I love the unknown because I have no idea what to expect. One thing I do know is that I will learn and grow as a person, both professionally and personally. Therefore I am a product of the process of evolution!

Life is good!

2 comments:

  1. You gotta 'follow the passion' is what I say - that's what gets you through, keeps you at it. So if Anthropology is your thing, good that you are going for it. But we are such complex creatures aren't we? I have a passion for a few things and they often compete for attention. Staying focused on one thing at a time to get where I want to be is hard for me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I totally understand that. I have a passion for art as well, so it sometimes gets a bit difficult to focus. However, I think I can do both. I just focus on one at a time for a certain period of time and then alternate. I like that, stops me from getting bored.

    I love anthropology, interesting discipline.

    ReplyDelete