Saturday, October 2, 2010

Interesting Times

Hey there fellow bloggers. I just returned from a National conference that has inspired me and reinvigorated my enthusiasm. Isn't it wonderful when you meet like minded people? The coming together of similarity between minds who are constantly thinking of ways to 'change the world'. Inspirational it is! How I wish everybody could think like that. Changing the world can be difficult not to mention totally draining on the emotional and cognitive home front and at times it can be soul destroying. The good thing about this conference is that everybody there is seeking the same outcome only in different ways. Everybody at the conference is searching for enlightenment in the continuity of art and culture for future generations, telling history and making pathways for a sustainable future. And it had a global focus.

It felt good to know that I am not alone. It felt good to get a bigger picture of what is happening in my industry within and outside of Australia. Art and culture is not just about Indigenous people it is about all societies in which we live. It is the history of our lives and of those who came before us. Art and culture belongs to all people and it is about where we came from, who we are and where we are heading.

I loved listening to all of the different cultural stories being preserved around the globe and interesting stories they were, but the most exciting thing is the acknowledgement that we need to open the doors for contemporary art and culture so that we have a future pathway for the preservation of our history; a history in the making. I loved that.

My friend who is an Archaeologist once said to me that we need to bury something sustainable in the ground in our back yards so that future archaeologists will have objects to dig up because our present society is a throw away disposable society. I think that this comment also relates to culture and the arts as well because we are now in a position where we need to consider our future and what that future entails for our young people. We need to consider the viability of sustainable ways to preserve our history and I think we need to adjust our thinking because there are so many new resources available to us that are not disposable and that are sustainable, but they can sometimes feel foreign to us because we are used to doing things in the same way. Change is always difficult and a lot of people resist change, it takes us out of our comfort zone. Change does not mean wrong! It just means different.

It is important for young people to express themselves in their own way using the resources that are available to them. At the conference I just attended a young Aboriginal man said:

'...them old people paint and that is their way but we want to do things our way, painting is old stuff....'

He was referring to film and photography which are his chosen media in expressing his art and culture. Interesting isn't it? And this made me realise that the youth of today have a whole range of technology available to them for expressions of the self. Who are we to say that it is not long lasting and why should we tell them it is not the right way to do things. When I think about it, their world is so different to mine? I remember when we got our first black and white television. My children remember when we got our first mobile phone which they laughingly call 'the brick'. Technology is only going to get bigger, faster and better, and whether we like it or not it is already connecting people and dragging them out of remoteness and isolation to join in with modern humanity. The internet is connecting professionals from around the globe who are participating in interactive discussions regarding their chosen fields and who are learning from each other. And here we are blogging our hearts and souls away in an attempt to encourage people to 'change the world' purely by challenging their thinking processes.

Me I love the challenge of 'changing the world', it is interesting, fun and hard work but it is also inspirational when you come across like minded people who remind you that you are not alone and that the world is worth saving. It is inspirational because it reminds me that the youth of today have the same needs as the youth of yesteryear. The only difference is the media in which they choose to tell their stories, preserving art and culture for generations to come. And you know what, it's okay? I look forward to watching and sometimes guiding, this new generation of young people who will be making use of the resources available to them to 'change the world'.

Oh hail to conferencing, I always learn something new.

On that note I'm signing off to go paint, like them old people do.....lol

Life is good!

8 comments:

  1. Yes, conferencing is good, though I have only been to one! Things sure have changed quickly in the 50 years I have been on the planet and yes, I agree the young'uns should be expressing themselves through all the modern media. But I also reckon they need to take their shoes off and go walk on the beach. I am not against the technology as such, just the way it seduces them. At my age I reckon I am fitter tham most of my media students because they don't do much in the physical world, they live in cyberspace. But if they can keep a foot in both worlds, then they will stay healthy and more balanced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so true, but I don't think that all young people are so engrossed in cyberspace that they forget to walk with nature. I think its more of an attitude thing. They have different resources available to them that make the old ways look outmoded. They can be just as creative as we are but they want to use technology to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I get that.....so do I! Camera's and PhotoShop particularly. That's why I am teaching my Indigenous students PhotoShop.....well trying it on those who want to do it at least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Photoshop is really interesting, especially when you combine it with In - Design or Illustrator. That is when it gets really interesting. I am still playing with it though. Slowly working bits out.

    I still love painting though.

    And I am thinking of purchasing a real camera for myself at christmas time. Wadjala Yorga inspires me to take up photography....lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you fellas said! I agree wholeheartedly... young fellas should be able to use what comes to hand for them in this 'modern' day to express themselves - but it'd sure be nice if they remembered though - what to actually bed this shift in i.e. their own sense of self (and where this might have sprung from I guess).

    If this means 'getting back to Country & Culture'(and I hope it does)- as best you can, given the circumstances that surround your own particular life - then I think this is what you need to do. Where you take your yarns from this point on - well... that's entirely up to you!

    Is that enough Barb... :-) I'll put my soap-box away now and take it back to my blurb - oops - I mean blog!
    Glad to hear it went well mate - cheers... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there belongum your comments are always welcome on this rant. The diversity of conversations means we appreciate other peoples views and soap box....lol

    I agree about getting back to country, but like all children Aboriginal children want to rebel so who are we to stop the next generation from rebellion. I do remember my own youth and my rebellion and I won't say anymore on that front.

    So I think what I am trying to put into perspective here is how they rebel using other resources available to them but still telling their own stories in their own way. Now my theory is that we let them use the technology and modern resources that they wish. Then the next step is to convince the elders that this is okay. Then we buddy up the oldies with the young ones in letting the youth teach the oldies about the new resources and technologies and I figure human nature will do the rest and the oldies will tell their stories to the young ones in between learning themselves and if all goes well knowledge and culture is passed on without actually smacking each other up the back of the head with a brick.

    See there is method to my madness.

    Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Osmosis' is a wonderful thing when it comes to culture don't ya think? As if by just standing next to each other - sharing a yarn or wandering through country - we'll pass onto each other, those things that are good from our collective cultures - as opposed to those things that aren't so good maybe?!

    Our young people should be free to find their place in OUR (all of us!) culture - the best way they can - or know how. If it can be complimented with a grounding - and even then just by a 'simple' process of osmosis say - then I reckon that can only be a good thing...

    good luck to our young people Barb - I reckon they'll need all the help we can give them (and perhaps - they in turn, can give us?!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like out young people, they got their heads on right they just need gently guidance.

    And osmosis is perfect for learning without knowing your learning. And they ask when they need help. All we have to do is leave the door open and let them know we are not judging them. That way they are free to make their own mistakes just like we did, thats life, it's how you learn. From failure brings success.

    Its all a learning curve, we just got to wait and help when they ask rather than tell them what to do.

    Its all good.

    Open door policy only way to go.

    ReplyDelete