Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Creatures of Habit

Don't you find it interesting how newspapers are a habit rather than something that you really want to read. I mean I purchased the Weekend Australian and I still haven't read it. That tells me maybe I don't really want to read it and I just brought it because I do that every weekend. I buy the Weekend Australian every Saturday morning without fail.

Human beings are creatures of habit. I have been thinking about this a lot. I used to jog everyday and I would run out of my front door and turn left instantly. I jogged the same route everyday in exactly the same direction. It was a habit. One day I decided to go right when I ran out the front door, and oh my god did I feel weird, because for months I had been running in the other direction. The worst part was I had no idea where I was jogging. When I turned right it felt so uncomfortable. I mean I was very confused. It was a strange feeling.

Now being creatures of habit has made me realise that the best way to live your life so that you don't get too bored with the daily routines is to do the little things in different ways every time you do them. Make the changes so that your brain has to think about what it is you are doing. I swear you won't regret it.

For your first experiment try this one, I did this once and it drove my ex husband crazy....lol Way too funny I tell you. Go to bed before your partner, turn the lights off, then lay with your head at the foot of the bed and your feet at the head of the bed and lay on their side not yours or even better lay across the bed, if you can fit. Honestly it is the strangest feeling to actually take the routine out of going to bed. It really does throw your thoughts into chaos but fight the urge to return to the normal routine and keep doing it until you stop feeling weird then change your pattern again. When I did this little experiment it made me laugh so much it actually made going to bed a pleasure.....lol

Especially when the comments started coming from my ex. Things like 'where are you?' quietly said from the doorway as he entered the room in the dark....lol I still laugh just thinking about it....way too funny. Life should be enjoyable and laughter should be a daily routine, if it's not find something to laugh about and if you can't find something to laugh about create something.

On that note, enjoy and happy bellowing.....lol

Life is good.

4 comments:

  1. That made me laugh too. My partner just changed one of his paper-buying habits also. He now gets the Weekend Australian on-line! I thought he might not enjoy it because it is such a ritual of his to have a lazy Saturday watching some sport and reading the paper (all incredibly boring to me!) He has solved the 'crossword' problem by simply printing out that bit. Phew! LOL He can read the paper on his iPhone so doesn't miss out on his 'toilet reading either'. And I am very happy because I have been bitching about the amount of waste and extra recycling and now the bin doesn't fill up as quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo never thought of paper online. I'm going to do that... great idea and you are right saves paper waste.

    Excellent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cruel is what that is... I'd be stuffed if the XO (my other half) did that to me Barb. I'd end up pulling up a swag on the floor! :-)

    How about the other side of 'habits' then? What about routines that you need just to keep sane? Or one's that remind you that you're actually still part of the wider 'human race' say - that keep you grounded in life.

    I've lived a life in uniform that is so interlaced with routine and habit, it'd make you head spin just thinking about it! I can honestly say that whilst I hated having to pick up a mop or a broom at exactly the same time each day whilst at sea (Navy's funny like that), there were times where the feeling of that wooden dowl handle being closed up tight in my grip - was a comfort to me. Such an action meant (for many of us actually) the end of that day's 'business'. A brief moment of the day where we could shut our minds off - a time to bury ourselves in something we could actually control - as opposed to those things we couldn't.

    We're creatures of habit because we need certain 'comforts' I guess... there are time when we need the perceived sense of security such things can bring. If only for a moment in time eh...

    Don't ask me to fall back to these routines now though - I can't even remember what a broom or a mop looks like hahaha - oh the trauma! :-)

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah but you got to admit Ron it was really funny!!! Well it made me laugh....lol

    I agree we need some sort of order versus chaos, but I found the whole experiment interesting because we train ourselves to do the same daily routine things, or the mundane things every day. Our brains do these things without thinking and we set ourselves into a comfort zone that we do not think about so when we do those things differently, man does it take a lot not to feel strange when you change your habits.

    It is amazing.

    So Ron I reckon you should try it on the XO and see if she has your sense of humour.....lol

    ReplyDelete