Friday, April 29, 2011

Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

Today I was given a beautiful copy of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam. Khayyam is a 12th century poet from Persia, among other things. Actually he was a scholar who wrote the odd piece of poetry, however I think his quatrains are snippets of philosophical thought. 

The timing is perfect and it makes me realise how lucky I am to have divine guidance, not to mention some very special people who love me and know me well. The past couple of weeks have been an emotional roller coaster and I was beginning to ask the question 'what's the point?' Then out of nowhere comes this fantastically beautiful book of quatrains that is the perfect response to my emotional inability to focus lately. 

Incredible the powers of the universe. When you least expect it you are shown the way. The book is full of the philosophy of life but there is one quatrain in particular that I would like to share with you. It is a tribute to my Uncle.

With them the seed of wisdom
did I sow,
And with my own hand labour'd
it to grow:
And this was all the harvest
that I reaped,
I came like water; and like
wind I go.

How beautiful is that and I have to say it is exactly what I had been searching for to honour my uncle's life.

I am truly blessed.

Life is good.

3 comments: