Friday, July 1, 2011

NAIDOC WEEK

Aboriginal Flag
This Sunday is the beginning of NAIDOC week and I am excited. The first week in July is my favourite time of the year. The week begins on Sunday with the launch of NAIDOC and then events take place during the week all over the city. Aboriginal people are happy, smiling and proud. Yes we are proud to be who we are. NAIDOC gives us the opportunity to showcase the best of Aboriginal culture and heritage. NAIDOC is the one time of the year when Aboriginal Australians become visible.

There are a couple of things during NAIDOC week that get me excited. The first one is the flags that are flying along Riverside Drive and on the Causeway. Today I drove to work and the flags are up. I took one look at those flags and I couldn't stop smiling. I feel proud to be Noongar. 

The second thing is the events that are occurring during the week a couple of which I will be participating in with fellow Noongars. I love being actively involved in NAIDOC events and enjoying the company of my friends and family at these events. It is exciting and fun. Everyone is in good spirits and there is an air of ownership and pride around the city that makes me glow.

But the highlight of NAIDOC week for me is the Ball. The NAIDOC Ball is the social event of the year for Aboriginal Australians and everyone who is anyone will be at the Ball. This years Ball is looking promising for me because I actually brought myself a beautiful dress. Usually when I go to the Ball I beg borrow or steal a dress because I am too scroogey to buy one. This year I did not think about the cost and actually let go of my control issues about finance and brought myself a fabulous dress. I can't wait to wear it. Unfortunately I do not have a date but I reckon the dress might just do it for me....lol  The Ball is always held at the end of the week as a celebration of all of the hard work that we do during the week to share with you our culture and heritage. 


Now where to find a pair of fabulous shoes for dancing? 


On that note please take the time to attend events in your town or city this year and support NAIDOC. Wadjelas are welcome!

Life is good.
Torres Strait Islander Flag







4 comments:

  1. I expect to see some pics of you in that dress.
    We are having a ceremony to raise the Aboriginal flag at Albany GSIT (TAFE) where I work next Tuesday. I am really looking forward to it. My students are coming along of course, they all got special invitations.
    Go girl, I hope you meet some lovely mature (in the emotional sense) man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress was interesting thats all I have to say on that one. Had a malfunction and the top part was a bit revealing. Not to worry, next years dress is going to be one that I paint and design myself. Reckon I will get it to fit properly.....lol

    Unfortunately no gorgeous man, mature or otherwise. Not to worry there is one out there for me just got to wait for him to arrive. Its all good.

    We have had so much fun during NAIDOC week. I love NAIDOC. Did your students show up? I hope so.

    Got a slack week this week, ah rest...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you've got it to flaunt! And if youdo manage to find a mature man don't tell anyone - you will be mobbed!! LOL

    Yes, my students DID turn up on the last day of semester too. In fact there were no classes scheduled but we were having a bit of a wind up. One of my ex-students and 2 current students raised a flag each, old Aunty Edie got to raise the Aboriginal flag. They got their photos taken and were all 'shame, shame' but I was so proud of them which is weird cos they aren't my mob really. But even one of my young boys did it and they were proud of themselves which is far more important.

    No slacking for me, lots of docs for TAFE before semester 2 starts. But I am happy to be doing some of them because I have a Cert 3 student who wants to go through to Cert 4. She has been with me for 1 and a half years now, has given up the grog cos she reckons it gets her into trouble. She has been in the system doing landcare and tourism but says I am the first person to really teach her! She just loves the painting.

    So I have told her, well, Cert 4 is tougher and you will have to do some more serious art theory to get through. She is keen, doesn't have to be there for the money as she is on a disability pension. So I am writing up projects just for her to finish Cert 3 and get her in the habit of doing some study. That's work I enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow don't you love it when people want to learn. I get a buzz out of teaching people who want to learn. Excellent.

    As for the dress happens to me every time so I am definately going to make time to paint me up some silk and chiffon and make my own damn dress.

    And I hit the treadmil with a vengence. Need to drop some kilos before the big 50. Feeling a bit old lately....lol

    Not that I will dwell on it because to be honest I am really busy with work. Looking forward to Uni starting on the 1st of August. I love learning, I'm definately a nerd....lol

    ReplyDelete