Monday, September 6, 2010

Changing Attitudes

I have had an incredible couple of weeks and I am tired. At first I thought it was because I was working long hours and I think that is part of it, but you know I think it is the expectations that other people put on me and I am finally worn out.

I need a break. Time out. Say No! Thats my new motto. It is draining trying to change the world, so maybe I am going about it the wrong way. Maybe I need to chill out and think about how to change the world without taxing myself emotionally.

I try to provide others with my perspective and sometimes I do not express myself as well as I would like, well that was my initial thought. But today I realised that some of my colleagues are so competitive that they live in the 'I' world which is all about them and that nobody else's opinions or experience counts because they are incapable of putting themselves in the shoes of others. Their sole purpose in life is to be the best and have the most say. I tell you it drove me insane. I tried to reiterate the thought process that lots of ideas can generate the ideal outcome, but to no avail, because they are tunnel visioned and their focus is solely around themselves. So I think I just have to let that one go and take another approach.

One of the things I am trying to get across is that objects in a museum tell a story. The story is not solely about the object, it is more than that. It is the history behind the object, the culture behind the object and the representation of the artwork on the object that bring the story to life. Objects in a museum should not be put behind glass for a 'too precious, don't touch mentality', they should be aired and seen and felt, and touched and smelt. They should exist within the real world so that the culture lives and breathes. If we can retell the story of culture and heritage through representation and interpretation using artworks and objects when we produce exhibitions then we have a much better chance of changing attitudes.

That is what I was trying to get across today, yet I seem to be hitting my head on brick walls all day.

Suggestions are more than welcome.

5 comments:

  1. I am so with you on this FT. I sympathise with what you are saying.

    Can there be kind of 'copies' of the real thing that people can access but which doesn't compromise the preciousness and preservation of the 'object'. Facsimiles I guess.

    But you are righ, people are so not able to look at the big picture and get out of their own way. I struggle with it all the time myself.XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle, sorry I took so long. I am extremely busy at work but back on track now. I think we can exhibit the originals however, I just need the right framework to do it in. I am not sure how as I don't think the objects should be handled, although we do have a hands on collection. I need to do more research. They have a fantastic Indigenous museum at the Smithsonian, I think I will google it up and take a virtual tour. But I think what I really need to do is make a couple of phone calls on Monday and talk to some elders. I need guidance here. Good idea, thats what I shall do. Nice talking with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't suggesting YOU weren't looking at the big picture BTW.....
    Hope you have some success XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Free Thinker, As someone who lives rather a lot in 'I' world it is nice to get woken out of the righteous reverie by your post! Thanks!
    (I don't actually have any advice, except to say that me and my kids dearly miss the sensationally tactile experience of Albany's resident stuffed lioness, since she became too shabby and no longer relevent).
    Don't know if I commented, but if I didn't, I loved your posts about your daughter's experience in boot camp. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies I appreciate the support. It's okay =I= I understand what you where saying. I am thinking out aloud here, it helps me to put things into perspective.

    And how do I get people to see the Big picture? Maybe my vision is too big for people to grasp? Maybe I need to scale it down to a smaller picture that they can manage but keep my Big picture within my own personal vision and climb the stairs one at a time?

    ReplyDelete