Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Thinking!!!

I've been thinking a lot lately and it amazes me how my brain just starts coming up with a whole lot of things that I think may be better for me. For example I love my job and I love my life, yet when I went on holidays and took the road trip into the Eastern Wheatbelt and then down to Albany I came home feeling like I would really love to live that life. You know the one in the country that is quiet and peaceful, an escape from the rat race. Holidays do that to you, they make you feel like you just want to spend the rest of your life doing nothing but what you want do. Holidays give you ideas like 'take time out', 'don't work so much', 'leave your old life and start a new one'. Why? Because holidays lull you into a false sensation of  'the grass is greener on the other side' mentality. Amazing! It has a way of mellowing one into thoughts of making a run for it while the feeling is still good....lol

You have to laugh because the reality is life requires commitment, no matter where you live. See the holiday feeling gets you caught up in a false sense of reality. Reality is the every day things that you have to do to make life bearable or fun, depends on your outlook. So, since I have returned from my holiday road trip, which I thoroughly loved and will do again without question, I have come to the conclusion that I have a lucky life. And I love my life.

Yes folks, this is the lucky country. Yes I have worked hard, the past 12 months especially has been a big one, yet the rewards have been magnificent and that's the bit that I have to focus on. That's the bit that puts things into perspective. You see, I had lost my focus because I had over loaded on work commitments and had not had enough fun. I had lost sight of what was important and I forgot to play. Life is balance, thats the trick. Work life balance is so important and now that I have identified my energy drain I plan not to do it again.

To add to my list of new years resolutions; cut the dead wood in my life both work and play and create some positive balance. No more running myself ragged. Time to move through life with a scale that sits evenly on the deck so that I can enjoy what I love. I mean what is the point of working yourself to the point where you have no energy left to enjoy what you love. This year I am creating a strategic plan for the year that will give me a work life balance that fits in with my lifestyle and I am going to enjoy every minute of it. Because for the moment I do have commitments and I do need to fulfil those commitments. 

From now on when I look at my holiday snaps I will remember this feeling of relaxation and I will capture this feeling of life that makes me feel like I am in the slow lane and not the fast lane and I will take a breath and give thanks for this life that I am blessed with.

However, when I retire I'm moving to the country....lol



4 comments:

  1. I have been feeling exactly the same.....and my job is much smaller than yours. I have to learn when to detach from my own expected outcomes - that's the trouble with passionate people, they put every bit of their energy into everything they do. I have been looking at escape plans but like you, have commitments for the moment.

    It was lovely to see you. Thanks again for making the effort to get to my little corner of the world.XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome and I love your corner of the world. Absolutely correct, I am passionate about my job. And things are changing so its all go from here.

    However, I will definitely try not to forget the plan; life work balance and get out more often.

    Your job is smaller but just as important. I read Eat Pray Love which my girlfriend gave me for xmas and the author said every persons life is a piece of a jigsaw puzzle that fits into the bigger picture, therefore the size of the job is irrelevant it is the quality that counts. Being passionate is a great thing, should be more of us then the world would be a better place, but we burn out quickly if we don't have balance.

    Time for balance I think and here's to passion, I love passion it makes one feel alive don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely. I often bemoan my character, but in all honesty I would rather be me engaging with what is meaningful than someone else who just cruises through. I guess people are just on different missions and they are all right for that person and time.

    But you know I am just starting to really understand the notion that there are people who take on the responsibility for the 'collective', as it were. I think you and I are both that type of person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woman you are amazing and I love the fact that you are so open, for want of a better description. Life is meant to be explored. We my friend are adventurers. You got to love that its fun....lol

    ReplyDelete