Monday, November 14, 2011

Life and Lines

Its been a bit of a long haul this past 12 months. Life has been a bit difficult. Thats not to say that I haven't enjoyed it, but I was frustrated as my previous blogs had testified to. Over the past three days I have taken some time out. Time out has been a deliberate choice for me as I have been ill since I stepped off the plane when it landed on English soil. Despite my illness I refused to waste one day on being in England therefore pushed my body to function despite my illness, until the last three days when my body said ENOUGH! Yes folks I crashed. I can honestly say it has been the best three days because I have had time to recuperate physically and to think about all the things I want to do in the future and to reflect on the last couple of weeks. My life went from 'intermission' to full speed ahead. Now those of you who know me know that I thrive on full steam ahead, however there are a few things that I would like to reflect upon.

Firstly I have noticed that I walk very slowly. Other people have told me this and I smile as I continue to walk slowly. Walking slowly is not a crime and I am never late for appointments (unless there is a catastrophe that I cannot control) because I start earlier knowing that I walk slowly. In other words I accommodate my inability or unwillingness to walk fast. I like strolling, it gives me time to get my thoughts in order and it means that I am not rushed when I reach my final destination, therefore remain calm. I believe that this is the answer to professional input and coherent thought when attending meetings. To be calm when you arrive. It really does help you keep your thoughts clear and precise.

Secondly I love experiencing life, therefore the lines that generally build up in cities while waiting for trains, buses, tickets etc are inevitable; complaining about it is a complete waste of breath and time. It is something that is uncontrollable because lots of people want to experience the same thing/s you do, that is why there is a line. Therefore enjoy the energy of excitement when queuing for tickets or the adrenalin rush when watching other people running to catch a train (there will be another one if you miss it). I realise people get worked up when they miss trains because it makes them late for whatever they are off too, but really if you want to be on time LEAVE EARLIER! 

Thirdly, other people constantly project their insecurities onto me. This appears to be ongoing and is not new. Now why is that? I ask myself this question a lot and sometimes it does bother me (I am human), generally I ignore it. I do this by brushing away other people's fear/s so that I can stay tuned to my 'love life' philosophy. My 'love life' philosophy is all about the experience, good, bad or ugly. It is  challenging and exciting and sometimes fearful and sad, however the experience is what is important. We experience things some more than others because it is this that we respond to. How we respond is the part that develops our character and influences our interaction with others. Experience of life is incredible and is invaluable if you allow the experience to be received freely. Stop fighting it and just let it happen (yes, I am listening, illness nearly gone).


The three examples above are life's experiences that have occurred for me over the past couple of weeks. It is the experience of life that builds on our genetic learning and overlays information so that we can evolve as human beings. Taking us outside our known environment into the unknown environment is incredibly confronting initially. However, we adapt rather quickly, to the new environment to the point where we become comfortable. Interesting isn't it, after only 14 days I am starting to feel familiarity with my surroundings to the point of being comfortable enough to want to stay in doors and recuperate without the desire to catch the tube to the next exciting place to visit in London.



Having said that I will be heading back to the National Gallery shortly to spend the afternoon wandering the corridors of the great artists as I experience their lives. (I can only stay in bed for so long before boredom kicks in).


Coffee Line


And yes there will be a line. 




Life is good!

4 comments:

  1. Lines are such good practice for letting go...love it up Barb..you deadly xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice......for you and everyone else! Being inactive and/or injured over the last 12 months has taught me so much and I am grateful for it. I completely agree with your 'slow down' philosophy. I do it in the traffic - we are all just trying to get somewhere and getting angry about it just makes the whole experience fraught for everyone. It's that kind of energy that is making people sad and sick.....

    Hugs XX, hope you are on the mend and enjoy the rest of your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. You will be pleased to know I am no longer ill at all. I even have my voice back. woo hoo! Good timing too because the temperature just dropped a few degrees and I am feeling cold now...lol I went to Liverpool yesterday to hang out with the Beatles. John Lennon kept resounding in my head. I always loved his accent and I talked to all the locals so I could hear the accent. Made me smile a lot eh! Way too funny.

    ReplyDelete