Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Tourist


Well its official I have become a tourist. Never thought that I would do that but I am loving every minute of it. London is amazing. As you all know my passion is art and yesterday in between actually doing some work I ventured into the National Gallery in London. It is a beautiful building sitting at the head of Trafalgar Square and looks down between the gates to Buckingham Palace. It is a truly magical space. My excitement about having a quick look around the gallery grew because I knew that there was a 17th & 18th Century Exhibition and my favourite painter of all time William Turner's work was hanging in the gallery. Oh my god I got to view the original works of Turner. And they did not disappoint. They are as majestic and as incredibly beautiful as they are in all of the books that I have seen of his work. There were only five works in the gallery each an inspiration of its own making. My favourite one hanging in the gallery, is 'Ulyses' because the light source in the painting is unbelievable. The works were all oils and painted with such finesse that I want to go back and sit in front of them for hours. I have part of my day free today so I will do that this afternoon.

Turner is the artist who created the expression of light and introduced such beautiful colour into his scenery. I have spent many many hours trying to grasp the light of Turners works. I continue to experiment and one day I will paint like Turner with an expression of light that will bring my works to life. Turner's paintings bounce off the canvas and into your imagination so that you experience the story that unfolds within the canvas and takes you to a place that is magical. I am so inspired and I cannot wait to begin painting. In the mean time I shall sit in front of Turner, whenever I get the opportunity whilst I am in London and let myself experience the life of a world that is past. 


Magic does exist and if you let yourself be free of the shackles of your existence, you can if only for a moment, experience the magic that is around you.


Life is good!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing more of the Barb Magic - I needed that inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turner is one of my favourites too. Way ahead of his time. Layers and layers of glazes applied with palette knife I think. You lucky bugger, seeing a Turner in the flesh!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree MF, definitely way ahead of his time. His works are magnificent absolutely beautiful and on very large stretched belgian linen I think. I went back today to sit in front of Turner. I am so inspired and I feel honoured to be able to see his work in the flesh. Amazing.

    And you are welcome Wadjella Yorga. I love yarning with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey FT, but the beautiful 'irony' of the situation is quite amusing. There's this Noongar woman over in 'my' traditional homeland looking at great inspiring works of art, and there's me here in her homeland being inspired by this awesome country and its traditional people.

    One world, one humanity. Embracing the differences, yet still many more points of contact than separations. I just LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi MF, exactly. Two Ways learning is the only way to go. I too love the irony of this.

    I really wanted to stake my claim to 'terra nullius' when I touched down at heathrow airport....lol But I controlled myself because those customs blokes looked really cranky, although the thought stayed in my mind.

    The colonized on the colonizers territory, now that is ironic. The artworks are amazing and I can't wait to get home and start painting again. I really am inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great news. Hey, I would have loved to see you plant that Aboriginal flag in the Heathrow tarmac. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too, makes me smile just thinking about it....lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey mum! I am following you now :) nice blog you sound so very inspired :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kara, thanks, glad you like it. I am inspired, can't wait to get home to start painting again. Yee ha!

    ReplyDelete