Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Olympic Highlights

Like everyone else I have been tuning in when convenient to watch the highlights of the Olympic Games. Generally I prefer to participate in sport rather than sit on the couch and watch it and the Olympic Games are no exception to my disinterest in watching sport. However this Olympics I actually got excited.

As usual with the Olympics I flick through the Swimming events and every now and then I flick the TV on to see when it will be over. Then I spied the Track and Field events which I love. My anxiety levels rose with the mens 100m heats because I came to the realisation that in between writing my thesis moving into my house and sorting out my life I was subconsciously keeping a close eye on the exploits of Usain Bolt. In fact the last time I watched someone run with such beauty was Carl Lewis (showing my age now) and Michael Johnson. Its not often that you get an athlete as outstanding as these guys and I love watching them run. So in my disinterest I watched the heats and then I watched the finals and I have to say it met my expectations. What a run. Totally awesome.

Thinking that I had experienced the great event of this years Olympics I turned the TV off. Today when I switched it on there was a replay of Sally Pearson's 100 metre hurdle run. The girl ran like a gazelle, so graceful and beautiful and perfectly executed. It was a pleasure to watch. 

I have to say I am not fully engaged in the Olympic mania, but I have had the pleasure of witnessing two memorable events that I probably won't forget in a hurry.

On that note I am going to run (probably not so gracefully) out the door and onto my treadmill to work off some unwanted middle age spread and dream of Olympic glory.

Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment