Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Same but Different

Yesterday I began my new employment. My role is different to what I am used too. I have gone from a position that was full of stress and drama to a job that is performed by rote, yet is very busy. Basically it means that I am performing the routine structure initially designed to speed up the process yet each task is different but the same. 

I am finding this hard to express because I am still processing the feelings that I am experiencing in the new position. It feels good because I don't have to create the task, the task is readily available and decisions do have to be made without asking each time I perform the task. The routine is a systematic formula that provides the most efficient service for the task. The requests are all different and all very interesting yet they are the same.

My question is do I like this job? I am not feeling all bubbly and excited as I did when I first began working at the Uni. My thoughts on this is that maybe this is because I am older and wiser and maybe I have worked out what it is I don't want rather than knowing what I do want? Or maybe I just got bored with the old job because it began to be same old same old type of mentality and things were moving too slowly for me. Maybe I just need a change. Not sure really and I am continuing to process the feelings that I am experiencing in this new position. So far I feel totally relaxed about the entire job and the ease of it is amazing. I think I am feeling good about this job because there is no pressure and I am not used to that. I also like the fact that I am busy from the moment I sit in my chair to the moment that I shut down my computer at the end of each day. There is no time for long breaks because I am so busy, yet there does not seem to be any pressure. Maybe that is the part that is confusing me. Busy but no pressure. How strange.

Having shared my thoughts with you all on the change in my professional career, I have to say I actually like my new job, but I am confused about the busy without stress part. I have worked under pressure continuously for the past three years and had gotten used to it. However, I know that it was not good for my psyche. This new job is quite calming and I feel calm. A new sensation for me. And no, do not interpret that as boring because the job is definitely not boring. In fact I find it extremely interesting as I am working in Anthropology and learning a lot already. It is good to be gaining practical experience in the field and I am finding that the skills I have learned at the museum have come in very handy. Patience, persistence, researching and paying attention to detail are skills that I had to learn and can now put to good use. In fact I am amazed at how easily I can access those skills without too much thought. 

Interesting it is.

Life is good!

4 comments:

  1. Interesting - I think I know what you mean here. As a creative person it's those special skills that come to the fore in a stressful 'problem-solving' kind of job. It can be quite exhilerating working like that. I found that when running community workshops. But I can deal with the stress in that situation because it's short term. That kind of work is much more creative and interesting than the day-to-day teaching I now do, which is kind of the same but different with each new group of students.

    You know what though, if I do not drain my creative self in my job I have something left for my own work, which ultimately is far more important to me. So you may find you do more of your own artwork doing this new job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly thats why I took this new job because I knew that I was not going to be drained and that I will have reserve fuel to write my dissertation this year and to get back to painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way I really love the fact that you get this stuff. Its good to know somebody gets it. Very cool. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete